Let us be transformed by the authority of God expressed through the scriptures......

...having the weeds and thistles within our experiences rooted out so the beautiful flowers and fruits of our experiences can develop into a mirror of the messiah, which will mirror God's word, love, and plan for mankind.






Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Opening


     I am opening this journal to keep track of my studies in an orderly fashion... as I have lost so many notes and it is truly frustrating when I then venture to write about my understanding in a manner helpful. I'm beginning in Genesis with Everett Fox's scholastic and foundational translation of the Torah that stresses the Hebraic rhythm, allusions, alliterations, wordplay, and rhetorical underscores. This will be alongside the JPS translation of the Tanach and an ESV edition of the bible. 

     I plan to ravage the Torah not so much in a scholastic manner, or should I say theological approach aimed towards the establishment of a theory, as for the practical development of righteousness as Jesus (Dyeshua, Méleḫ ha-Mašíaḥ), and later Paul (Saul ha-Tarsi), would have us understand it.  I hope to be transformed by the authority of God expressed through the scriptures, having the weeds and thistles within my experiences rooted out so the beautiful flowers and fruits of my experiences can develop and shine as a mirror of the messiah, which will mirror God's word, love, and plan for humanity.

     I intend to avoid creating a form of entertainment out of the scriptures, and this is primarily why I took the time above to point out the problematic nature of theological discourse aimed at producing a "new" theory or concept.  America is a despot of entertainment and the desire lies in receiving some preferred form of such entertainment - to the point where all that is not entertaining is a drudgery endured to once again "enjoy" entertainment.  In relation to the scriptures, the danger lies in forming new "takes" / "theories" / "concepts" for the reader to then swirl around in their head for the entertainment it brings - abandoning it once it ceases to offer such pleasure.  In the end, this is mankind's methodology designed as a safety net for facing the true authority behind the scriptures - The God of all.  I urge you to avoid this pitfall, as it waylays the transforming power of the scriptures and keeps you from the renewal of your mind.  A necessity on our part in the occurring new creation.

Onward then, into Genesis.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a worthy goal.

    I tend to steer away from categorical statements about other people's spirituality, such as "America is a despot of entertainment" but I can understand that this can be motivated by solipsism rather than wisdom. I try to balance this by being willing to confront a single person's (perceived) problems but staying away from doing the same with large groups of people (even if I think it is the case).

    ReplyDelete